The Sister Lake to The Meadows, Not to be Under Estimated!
Poachers Pool is approximately 4 acres in size and contains a mixture of original and stocked carp, with fish going up to 38lb being caught in 2017. We believe the lake contains about 90 fish with approx. 20 of these going over 30lb, with the majority of others being between 20lb and 30lb. The lake is available for group bookings of up to 3 anglers for 48, 96 or 144 hours duration. Bookings start on Mon, Wed or Friday From 11:00. With 3 purpose built swims on each side of the lake Poachers is ideal for a social fish with your makes
Poachers Pool is believed to have been dug in the early sixties and was used for angling until the early nineties at which point it was closed and used as a holding pond for fish moved from other lakes on site destroyed when extractions started. During the period Poachers Pool was closed the lake was poached and it is believed some fish moved which makes it difficult to estimate what was left of the original stock. You may have already guessed but this is how Poachers Pool got its name.
Booking prices and information
- £90.00 per 24hr for lake exclusive inc. up to 3 anglers. There is a minimum booking period of 48 hours.
- Although we do not recommend it a fourth angler may fish for an additional £30 per night
- 48 hour or 96 or 144 hour bookings only, starting Mon, Wed or Fri
- Visit www.holmefenfishery.co.uk to book.
- Fishing strictly by prior booking only .When arriving at the site (no earlier than 9:30) enter the gate (using code emailed to you a week prior to arrival) and park in the main car park. You can walk around the lake but please do not bother existing anglers. A draw will be held in the main car park at 11:00. Once you have selected where to fish you may drive to the swim (as near as permitted) to unload your equipment before parking your car in the nearest designated car park. Your car must then be left in the car park for the duration of your stay – it should NOT be used to travel to the toilet to the gate to pick up a takeaway or around the lake to see other anglers irrespective of the weather conditions.
- All slings, mats and nets must be dry prior to entering the site – anybody caught unpacking damp equipment will be asked to leave immediately without refund. Fish safety is of paramount importance.
- Minimum age is 18 years for any exceptions please call to discuss.
- No non-angling guests permitted on the fishery.
- 3 rod maximum.
- No braided mainline, naked chod rigs, leadcore or shock leaders of any kind.
- Minimum of 1 meter tubing or manufacturer prepared leaders i.e. Safezone
- Pellets, Particles and Tiger nuts may be used in moderation but must be purchased from the fishery in advance.
- No bait boats unless you’re on a lake exclusive booking then its up to the person who booked.
- Micro-barbed hooks only with maximum size 6.
- Maximum lead size of 4oz.
- Minimum line strength of 15lb inc Zigs.
- Suitable LARGE slings and SIDED carp mats or cradles must be used – no flat or beanie mats allowed. Please make sure all fish are weighed and photographed as close to the water as possible, avoid carrying fish in your landing net (use your sling to carry landing net and fish to your mat) as this will aid their recovery.
- Carp may only be held in a large recovery sling to assist weighing and photographing – the maximum time should not exceed 15mins. No carp to be placed in a sack.
- Maggots may be used from Nov
- No artificial (plastic) bait apart from zig bugs.
- Fishing is allowed from designated swims only. Please do not damage the vegetation.
- No dogs allowed.
- No rods to be left unattended (unofficial 40m remote rule applies however please be aware that this could lead to you being in trouble with the Environment Agency).
- Always respect other anglers and do not cast into adjacent swims.
- No fires. You may use BBQ’s but please ensure these are placed on bricks or slabs provided, do not place directly on the grass
- No movement of fish. Fish should be returned to the lake they were caught.
- Badly damaged fish must be retained in a sling and reported to the emergency numbers immediately.
- Please carry fish care treatments to use on all hook holds marks or damaged fins etc.
- Your ticket permits fishing from 11:00 on the date of arrival. You must leave the fishery no later than 11:00 on your day of departure. Do not arrive on site before 10:30 (there is nowhere for you to wait) – if you are early the local villages of Earith or Somersham have local amenities. On your arrival you may walk around the lake while waiting for the 11:00 draw.
- Anglers may not leave the site after 20:00 or before 06:00 unless in an emergency.
- Takeaway deliveries must be made before 20:00. Food must be collected from the on-site collection point at the main car park so ensure the takeaway driver has your mobile and you have provided them with the gate combination number – do not leave rods in water unattended or use cars to collect.
- Pictures of all 30lb+ plus fish should be emailed to the fishery team within 2 days with your name and size of fish, date, bait used plus any other information you think applicable email address to use: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All rubbish to be taken away with you. Any angler with rubbish in their swim will be asked to leave and those leaving rubbish in a swim will be banned. If there is rubbish in your swim upon arrival please report to this to the bailiff.